Role: Senior Accountant
Work Area: Freetown, Sierra Leone
Employer: A reputable Company
Application Deadline: 13th October 2023.
Location: Freetown, Sierra Leone. Open to all nationalities.
Application Instructions: Submit your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Accountant” in Subject Line.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for managing and processing of overall accounting activities and analysis while maintaining effective internal control and ensuring legal compliance in all accounting initiatives of the hotel and its staff. The role is responsible for managing the hotel’s overall budget, the day-to-day aspects of the hotel’s accounting and reporting functions and of identifying opportunities for improvement of the hotel’s finance system processes.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure cash and bank balances are correctly recorded into the relevant accounting systems and the balances are regularly counted and reconciled with statements, interests and other charges
- Process and issue all invoices, accounts receivable, accounts payable in an accurate manner while maintaining the integrity of the accounts and meticulous data collection from all clients and customers
- Maintain accurate log system of all finance books and ensure their secure custody at all times
- Prepare and process the payroll for the hotel staff in accordance with their attendance sheet and ensure all payroll-related costs and deductions are correctly booked
- Develop and submit payroll related reports to the management
- Assist and monitor the handling of physical cash receipts and payments transactions and prepare and submit daily liquidity report
- Ensure daily sign off of petty cash accounts and un-deposited funds such as cheques and their accurate filing
- verify the inventory balance data with financial records and prepare regular stock statements and inventory verification reports
- Introduce stock control measures in all departments and provide guidance on COS, GP and Break Even Point formula at departmental level
- Analyse occupancy rates, room revenue, operating expenses and other key hotel metrics and identify areas of improvement in order to ensure profitable operations
- Prepare and review budgets and generate regular reports and financial statements for the management
- Assist with financial and tax audits, including the year-end audit process
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze the business in different situation and guide the management and staff accordingly
- Ensure all staff is aware of and adheres to financial policies and procedures and the company is compliant with the local laws and regulations.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or equivalent.
- 5+ years’ experience as a senior accounting/finance position, preferably in hospitality sector.
- Excellent knowledge of MS office and usage of financial softwares (Quick Books) and PMS systems.
- Further finance qualifications are an asset.
Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrate strong work ethics and qualify into hotel industry hours.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven financial planning and forecasting skills.
- Strong data analysis skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent organization and problem-solving skills.