Senior Administration Officer
Role: Senior Administration Officer
Employer: The Embassy of Iceland in Freetown
Application Deadline: 19th of February 2024
Location: Freetown, Sierra Leone.
Application Instructions: Submit CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Administration Officer” in Subject Line.
The Embassy of Iceland in Freetown is a newly established mission. The Embassy is part of the Icelandic Foreign Service, and our role is to strengthen bilateral relations between Iceland and Sierra Leone; support Sierra Leone’s socio-economic development through development cooperation; and protect the interests of Icelandic citizens and provide assistance in need.
The Embassy is seeking to recruit an experienced and committed individual to support the delivery of the Embassy’s priorities by ensuring the efficient and effective running of the overall systems and operations of the Embassy. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing general administrative and office support to the operations of the Embassy and will work closely with the Head of Mission/Deputy Head of Mission.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Support the management of human resource operations for all locally recruited staff in accordance with Sierra Leonean labour law and MFA policies and procedures, including maintaining records and administering annual leave.
- Provide daily administrative and logistical support to the Embassy’s programmes and operations as required.
- Contribute to crisis management planning, e.g. updating consular contacts lists, Embassy staff and family lists and liaising with Embassy contacts.
- Provide assistance to Embassy staff and their families including communication with government entities on residence permits and visa applications, housing and/or any emergencies.
- Maintain effective communication with external stakeholders including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Affairs (MFAIC) and other government ministries, departments and agencies, and draft official notes and/or letters as required.
- Provide support in organising meetings and events, invitations, logistics etc.
- Assist and coordinate preparations for official travel and inward visits including arranging travel and accommodation, organising logistics, ensuring welcome arrangements for visiting MFA staff etc.
- Secure all paperwork on vehicle registrations (buying and selling) for the Embassy and its diplomatic staff and assist with customs clearance of goods.
- Liaise with banking institutions, local and international suppliers and contractors, ensuring correct processes are followed and value for money achieved.
- Ensure efficient records management to enable effective Embassy operations.
- Perform any other relevant duties that may be assigned by the Head of Mission.
Accounting / bookkeeping tasks
- Provide support in financial administration including document checking and verification of invoices and financial documentation for payment requests.
- Register all cash and other financial transactions into the financial system in a timely manner.
- Support in payment of Embassy expenses.
- Communication with relevant financial institutions and authorities.
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s / Masters level qualification in social sciences, business administration, law or other relevant discipline.
- A minimum of 7 years relevant working experience in administration.
- Experience of working for international organisations or embassies is an advantage.
- Good knowledge of national labour and customs laws and regulations is an asset.
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English.
- Strong organisational and planning skills.
- Analytical thinking and strong numerical abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work both independently and in diverse and multicultural environment.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and self-motivation.
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively, constructively and flexibly in a smaller-sized office environment.
- Strong IT skills (Microsoft Office Suite).
The Embassy of Iceland welcomes and encourages applications from people of all genders and backgrounds.
Further information about Iceland’s development cooperation in Sierra Leone: