Role: Programme Officer
Employer: The Embassy of Iceland in Freetown
Application Deadline: 19th of February 2024
Location: Freetown, Sierra Leone.
Application Instructions: Submit CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com with “Programme Officer” in Subject Line.
The Embassy of Iceland in Freetown is a newly established mission. The Embassy is part of the Icelandic Foreign Service, and our role is to strengthen bilateral relations between Iceland and Sierra Leone; support Sierra Leone’s socio-economic development through development cooperation; and protect the interests of Icelandic citizens and provide assistance in need.
The Embassy of Iceland is seeking to recruit a motivated and experienced Programme Officer (PO) to join the Embassy team to support the delivery of our development projects and programmes in Sierra Leone. S/he will act as focal point on thematic priorities, such as gender equality, human rights and climate and environment and play an important role in supporting the effective management of Iceland’s development cooperation portfolio, with particular focus on coastal communities.
The responsibilities for this position may vary from time to time depending on the Embassy’s programme needs.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the Embassy’s strategic, annual and programme planning as well as monitoring and reporting of Iceland’s development cooperation programme in the country.
- Identify opportunities for engagement in relevant thematic areas and build strong networks and relationships across different stakeholders such as Government, development partners and civil society/NGOs.
- Participate in and report on regular field visits to project locations and monitor and evaluate the implementation of the Embassy’s programmes by the implementing partners.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with the Embassy’s implementing partners to ensure that its programmes deliver the intended results.
- Collect data and provide analysis on project locations and communities related to thematic areas of focus, e.g. gender, climate, WASH, education, coastal communities, etc.
- Review and summarise published key reports and policy papers relevant to the programme implementation and contribute to analysis and lessons learned.
- Actively participate and promote Iceland’s position at working group meetings, conferences and other relevant external events.
- Contribute to drafting talking points for the Embassy’s participation in conferences, roundtables and other public events and media engagements. Prepare case studies and communication materials on Iceland’s development programmes for social media.
- Provide wider Embassy support and perform other duties as assigned by the HoM as required.
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s / Masters level qualification in development studies, social sciences, economics or other relevant discipline.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant working experience in project management in the areas of thematic priorities.
- Demonstrated experience in result-based monitoring and evaluation.
- Knowledge of all project management cycles, including tools and procedures for project programming, appraisal, implementation, monitoring, review, and evaluation.
- Experience in supporting or managing development programmes and experience of working for international organisations or embassies is an advantage.
- Good knowledge of development policies and priorities in Sierra Leone is an advantage.
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English and strong presentation and public speaking skills.
- Strong organisational and administrative skills.
- Analytical thinking and multitasking abilities.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work both independently and in diverse and multicultural environment.
- Active listening skills and proactive and constructive attitude.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office applications.
- Willingness to travel frequently and as requested.
The Embassy of Iceland welcomes and encourages applications from people of all genders and backgrounds.
Further information about Iceland’s development cooperation in Sierra Leone: