Business Development Manager
Role: Business Development Manager
Employer: BRAC Microfinance
Application Deadline: 20th October 2023.
Location: Freetown, Sierra Leone.
Application Instructions: Submit CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com with “Business Development Manager” in Subject Line.
The candidate is the key point in the BMSLL team to identify new business opportunities including new products and client oriented services and aligned with the organisational strategic goals.
They will plan and implement current and upcoming product development in Sierra Leone. Considering the growing market in Sierra Leone and also the organizational growth plan this role will identify suitable interventions and explore more client centric products and services with its current product lines.
At BIHBV, the candidate will also work closely with Product Manager in ensuring the quality of product initiatives for both existing and new products. The candidate will further work closely with Social Performance Champion/Manager, HR, Audit/Monitoring, IT and other relevant departments for implementation of Social Performance Management (SPM), and Client Protection Principles related to client-centric products and service delivery for product initiatives.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Products Development and Implementation
- Plan, implement and manage new MF programmatic projects (either initiated by programme or fundraising affiliate) – ensure all product planning and implementation are strategically aligned with BI MF strategic priority areas, BI MF product strategies (agrifinance, youth finance, climate, etc.), and USSPM 3 (Design products, services and delivery channels that meet clients ‘needs and preferences). Work closely with BIHBV product team and country management to design and implement country level product strategies and roadmaps.
- In collaboration with Senior Leadership, develop comprehensive new MF project plans and define and implement product sales strategies to achieve MF strategic objectives.
- Client-centric product innovation plan, design and implementation for target segments – conducting client centric market research to understand BRAC Sierra Leone existing and targets customer segments’ needs, and the design/refinement, piloting and scaling of appropriate products using client insights. Analyze various market segments and collaborate with leadership to choose the best ones to pursue in line with BRAC International Microfinance (MF) strategic priorities.
- Provide thought leadership on emerging products and refinements to existing emerging products that better meet the needs and improve the livelihoods of existing and target customers, specifically the needs of segments identified in BI MF’s mission (women living in poverty in rural and hard-to-reach areas). Work with other enabling stakeholders, such as regulators, donors and others to innovate and maximize the roll out of products and digital channels to achieve client impact.
- For all product projects, create and maintain comprehensive project documentation including project pilot and scale up plans with clear project scope and objectives, implementation schedules, budgets and reports.
- Work closely with the Programme Manager and the BIHBV product team to develop product-related operational materials, training materials and plans, communications materials, and business requirements document product (re)configuration
- Manage and coordinate all relevant stakeholders to ensure technical and operational feasibility of each project. Coordinate internal resources and third parties/vendors for the flawless execution of projects.
- Support in the development of fundraising proposals related to product initiatives
- In collaboration with the Risk Manager, perform risk management and analysis to minimize project risks.
- In collaboration with internal teams, train country office and branch staff to effectively roll out new/refined products.
- Ensure resource availability and allocation as per defined budget.
- Attend bi-weekly check-in calls with the BIHBV product team, as well as bi-annual product peer group calls. Attend conferences and training as required to maintain proficiency.
Product Monitoring and Reporting
- Regularly collect and analyze feedback from customers, stakeholders and other teams and use feedback to refine products and services
- Work closely with country management and BIHBV product team to develop a detailed project roadmap to monitor and track progress of projects
- Conduct periodic monitoring surveys and performance tracking of adoption and uptake of new products
- Document lesson learnings from projects and disseminate insights within BRAC Sierra Leone and with other BI MF institutions
- Ensure implementation of “Product Development and Knowledge Management Guideline”.
- Measure social and financial project performance using appropriate tools and techniques; specifically, to analyze the successful completion of short and long-term goals and overall results of the projects.
- Ensure that all projects are delivered on time, within scope and within budget.
- Manage changes to the project scope, project schedule and project costs using appropriate verification techniques. Report and escalate to management as needed.
- For all pilot projects, implement adaptations and manage change to improve product and processes where necessary to meet project outputs and deliver high quality projects.
- Present to stakeholders reports on progress as well as problems and solutions.
- Ensure the safety of team members from any harm, abuse, neglect, harassment and exploitation to achieve the programme’s goals on safeguarding implementation. Act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment.
- Practice, promote and endorse the issues of safeguarding policy among team members and ensure the implementation of safeguarding standards in every course of action.
- Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place, encourage others to do so.
Education and Knowledge
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences preferably, in Marketing, Accounting, Economics, Statistics or Finance.
- 5+ years’ experience in Microfinance operations and at least 3 years in relevant roles.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft packages and/or other software is an added advantage.
- Knowledge on market intelligence analysis is an added advantage.
- In depth knowledge of microfinance operations is an asset.
- Market research, reporting and conflict resolution experience are a plus.
Skills and Competencies
- Outstanding communication, presentation and leadership skills.
- Excellent decision-making and project management and planning capabilities.
- Detail oriented; excellent organisational and time management skills.
- Sharp analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Creative thinker with a vision.
- Able to tolerate stress.